Where in the World is the Internet? Location Political Power in Internet Infrastructure. School of Information, University of California, Berkeley. 2014. [link]
Committee: Coye Cheshire (co-chair), John Chuang (co-chair), Paul Duguid, Peter Evans.
Winner of the 2016 iConference Doctoral Dissertation Award.
Publications and Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Risky Business: Social Trust and Community in the Practice of Cybersecurity for Internet Infrastructure (with Coye Cheshire). Proceedings of the 50th Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences. Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA. January 2017. [pdf]
- Situated Governance: On Topological Limits to Internet Governance. Proceedings of AoIR 2016: The 17th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers. Berlin, Germany. October 2016.
- The Myth of the Decentralized Internet. Internet Policy Review. Vol. 5, Issue 4. September 2016. [link]
- Locating the Internet in Infrastructure. Proceedings of AoIR 2013: The 14th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers. Denver, USA. 2013. [link]
- Recognizing Invisible Infrastructure: Data Centers and Hurricane Sandy (with Megan Finn and Kate Crawford). Proceedings of AoIR 2013: The 14th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers. Denver, USA. [link]
- Entry on “Internet”, in Oxford Bibliographies Online: Sociology (with Coye Cheshire). Oxford University Press. 2011.
- The New Cartographers: Trust and Social Order Within the Internet Infrastructure (with Coye Cheshire). Proceedings of the 38th Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy (Telecommunications Policy Research Conference). 2010. [link]
Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- Becoming an Information Security Engineer. Invited paper, Ostrom Workshop Colloquium on Cybersecurity and Internet Governance, Indiana University, Bloomington. April 2017.
- The Social Embedding of Network Interconnection. Invited talk, Humboldt University School of Library and Information Science, Berlin. October 2016.
- The Intimate Spaces of Network Interconnection Markets. Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE) Annual Conference. Berkeley, USA. June 2016.
- Protocol as a Fieldsite. Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting. San Francisco, USA. March 2016.
- Protocol as a Fieldsite. Invited talk, UC San Diego Studio for Ethnographic Design. February 2016.
- On the Value of Internet Names and Numbers: A High Stakes Game? International Conference on Public Policy. Milan, Italy. July 2015. [link]
- Governance in the Middle: The (im)Material Politics of Internet Infrastructure. Governing Technology: Material Politics and Hybrid Agencies conference. Stanford University, USA. May 2013.
- My Feet on the Ground, My Head in the Clouds: On the Production of Networked Virtual Space from Material Physical Infrastructures. What’s New about New Materialisms conference. University of California, Berkeley, USA. May 2012.
- Trust in Anarchy? Problems in the Governance of Distributed Computing Systems. 2011 TRUST symposium. Washington D.C., USA. 2011.
- A Tale of Two Protocols: Constructions of Authority in DNS and BGP. Global Internet Governance Academic Network workshop “Global Internet Governance: Research and Public Policy Challenges for the Next Decade”. American University School of International Service. Washington, D.C., USA. 2011.
- Understanding Service Systems Through Standards. Information and Service Design Symposium. University of California, Berkeley. 2008.